My parents, friends and husband mean the world to me but no relationship supports me like the one I have with myself. Getting to know you takes a lifetime so start now! Fitness is my personal tool towards that investigation. Note that the word ‘fitness’ is interchangeable with whatever movement or practice you connect with.
Here are steps to begin or maintain your path to fitness:
1. Get out of your own way Simply put the only person causing a delay towards happiness is yourself. Delete the excuse dialogue, remove all self-imposed roadblocks and start showing up for yourself.
2. Try a class You test-drive a new car so too should you test-drive a workout. Classes are an inexpensive way to taste the many flavors fitness has to offer. There are free videos online as well – remember no excuses. Private sessions are also available if you want the individual attention.
3. Commit Make a commitment to yourself to stay active. Give yourself several months and notice the changes in your life. Write down ‘MY TIME’ in your calendar, blocking out at least an hour four times a week for fitness. This is your commitment to yourself so follow through!
4. Enjoy the Process Eventually, commitment changes from obligation to enjoyment. Movement is so much fun, its like adult recess. Remember that next time you are in boot camp skipping rope!
5. Finding Balance Injuries are pitfalls that send us on quieter paths of recovery. The body will seek balance. Physically we change over time so be prepared to let go of expectations. Fitness is a lifelong journey so go with what works and stop beating yourself up when something no longer does. I have cultivated a path of self-love through my physical fitness practice and I try to empower others to do the same. Let fitness become a familiar friend and may the relationship be life long.
AUTHOR: Nicole Yvette Hughes