- Step 1: Find a place where you can concentrate without interruption.
- Step 2: Allocate an amount of time and set a timer. Start with 10 minutes and try to work yourself up to a daily time of 30-45 minutes.
- Step 3: Establish a comfortable seated position on a cushion or in a chair. It is recommended to sit cross legged, but do what works for you.
- Step 4: Begin by breathing deeply. Lengthen through the crown of your head and ground through your pelvis. Sitting upright and aligned aids the mind and attention.
- Step 5: Recite inwardly, “May I be happy. May I be well. May I be peaceful and at ease.” You can continually repeat this or just notice what happens with your mind.
- Step 6: Keep observing everything. Keep your mind open. Don't grasp on to any thoughts. Just breath and let go.
Remember, there are no “bad” meditation practitioners and no right answers. Just follow these steps and see what happens if you dare to just sit still.
AUTHOR: Bex Urban