Activewear Archived Balance Beauty Tips Career Cocktail Core Strength Dance Essential Oils FastFit Flexibility Goals Gratitude HIIT Holidays Hydration Kitchen Gadgets Meditation Mental Health Motherhood Motivation Music Natural Remedies Nutrition Persistence Pilates Post-Workout Posture Quotes Recipe Retreats Running Share Strength Travel Wanderlust Wisdom Workout Accessories Workout tips Yoga
How To Meditate: Just Sit Still
People are always asking me "How do I begin a meditation practice?" This is a difficult question to answer because in reality there is no right answer. There are many ways to establish your personal practice and you just need to figure out what works best for you. However, there are some basic steps one can take to get started:
- Step 1: Find a place where you can concentrate without interruption.
- Step 2: Allocate an amount of time and set a timer. Start with 10 minutes and try to work yourself up to a daily time of 30-45 minutes.
- Step 3: Establish a comfortable seated position on a cushion or in a chair. It is recommended to sit cross legged, but do what works for you.
- Step 4: Begin by breathing deeply. Lengthen through the crown of your head and ground through your pelvis. Sitting upright and aligned aids the mind and attention.
- Step 5: Recite inwardly, “May I be happy. May I be well. May I be peaceful and at ease.” You can continually repeat this or just notice what happens with your mind.
- Step 6: Keep observing everything. Keep your mind open. Don't grasp on to any thoughts. Just breath and let go.
Remember, there are no “bad” meditation practitioners and no right answers. Just follow these steps and see what happens if you dare to just sit still.
AUTHOR: Bex Urban