Monday Meals // Paleo Pumpkin Spice Latte
Paleo Pumpkin Spice Latte The arrival of Fall signals the arrival of the ever-present Pumpkin Spice Latte. Unfortunately these tempting drinks are loaded with sugar, calories, and sometimes high in fat. Add some whipped cream on the top, and you can easily consume more than a meals worth of calories in one drink. I tried this healthier, vegan, paleo-friendly version, and found it a great alternative. I hope you enjoy! Ingredients:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp organic raw honey (double this if you like something sweeter)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg or all spice
- ½ tsp maple extract (feel free to use vanilla extract)
1. Brew your coffee or espresso first, however you like it. I found this to be better with espresso or a stronger brew of coffee.
2. Add coconut milk, pureed pumpkin and raw organic honey in a saucepan over medium heat; stir occasionally until coconut milk is bubbling and steaming.
3. Remove from heat and stir in maple or vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg
4. Pour some coconut milk mixture into the bottom half of a coffee cup, then pour your coffee or espresso on top. You can also mix all ingredients in a blender to be added to iced coffee, and store any unused creamer in the refrigerator for about 4 days.
Try topping with coconut whipped cream and a pinch of cocoa powder!
AUTHOR: Abbi Hammond
img source: http://bojongourmet.com/2014/11/spiced-pumpkin-seed-maple-horchata-calvados-vegan/