Activewear Archived Balance Beauty Tips Career Cocktail Core Strength Dance Essential Oils FastFit Flexibility Goals Gratitude HIIT Holidays Hydration Kitchen Gadgets Meditation Mental Health Motherhood Motivation Music Natural Remedies Nutrition Persistence Pilates Post-Workout Posture Quotes Recipe Retreats Running Share Strength Travel Wanderlust Wisdom Workout Accessories Workout tips Yoga
Smaller Equals Better...Sometimes
I put a microphone on every day and give cues to women of all shapes, sizes, and ages, directing them how to spend 55 minutes lifting their seat, toning their thighs and burning calories. ‘Smaller equals better,’ ‘make that mind/body connection,’ ‘breathe through the burn,’ ‘avoid comparing yourself with your neighbor,’ ‘challenge yourself in a whole new way,’ ‘take it to the next level’—I use these mantras everyday at the barre to create a better workout experience for my clients. I pray that they walk away from our studio feeling a lifted spirit and a refined sense of self-esteem as well as a lifted backside and toned muscles! But it doesn't end there. When you take a moment to strip away the fitness focus of these motivational tips, and examine them from a personal perspective, you can really reap a fuller contentment in who you are as a person. So, here’s my everyday challenge:
- Appreciate the “smaller” moments in life. They usually define and help create the bigger moments. Take the time to listen and observe so you can detect what those smaller gifts are each day in order to cherish them adequately.
- Establish your mind/body connection. This goes for outside of your exercise hour as well, in order to value rest and make healthy choices for yourself and your family.
- Embrace life’s burn-When life hits you with difficult and painful encounters, take a deep exhale and endure, breathing through the uncomfortable situation that has the potential to refine you and make you stronger and even more beautiful on the other side. (Much like Pure Barre’s entire thigh series!)
- Don't compare yourself. Instead of comparing with others’ achievements or failures, apply that energy toward appreciating your own belongings, body parts and blessings!
- Find an opportunity every day to challenge yourself like never before. Whether it is to confront a lingering issue with a friend, or set a new fitness goal, be bold in all that you do as you create and confront challenges with a positive determination and excitement to see what the resulting growth could be at their completion!
It might sound like a cliché, but that it is so much “bigger than the barre.”
AUTHOR: Danielle Davis