Summer Party Tips
Summer is here! In Chicago we have had a rough winter so I am ready for some heat! With the turn of seasons come outdoor parties, festive BBQ’s and the ice-cold cocktails…but what about the post-patio guilt? We’ve all been there so why not nip it in the bud? Below are my tips for a fun outdoor party without the extra calories!
• Start Small: Start with crudités and hummus or a fruit plate. By sticking to fibrous veggies and fruits that have a high water content you help control your appetite so that you don’t go overboard on the main meal.
• Skimp on the Sauce: That sweet and savory BBQ sauce tastes so good for a reason; it’s basically just sugar! Switch out the sauce for a light marinade or an herb-y rub.
• Better Your Buns: Ditch the processed white flour buns for whole-grain options. I love getting big leafs of romaine to use instead of a bun on my burgers or grilled chicken sandwiches. It’s so refreshing!
• Get Crunching: Make your own kale chips to satisfy the need for a bit of crunch without the greasy potato chips. After the kale chips are done baking quickly add a splash of fresh lemon juice, pinch of dill and dash of sea salt for added flavor!
• Dessert: Fruit on the grill is absolutely amazing way to end a nutritious meal. The heat causes the sugar in fruit to caramelize and the result is delicious! It doesn’t take long though to grill pieces of fruit so keep a watchful eye!
Have a wonderful, safe and happy summer!
img source: https://feedfeed.info/entertaining/thedelicious/ultimate-crudit-platter
AUTHOR: Jordan Shackleford
img source: http://www.bakersroyale.com/whipped-feta-dip-recipe/