Enjoy your outdoor sports in the summer without excessive sun overexposure. In the summer I teach Pilates Bootcamp on NYC’s Hudson River so I have to protect my very fair skin.
Here are some of my favorite natural skin protection tips:
1) Wear a light weight long-sleeved shirt, white breathable fabric is best. One with a hood will protect the back of your neck. Splits 59 has a bunch of stylish options.
2) A baseball cap. Don’t borrow your boyfriend’s get your own! Get a couple for the summer so you can always have a clean one to choose from. AND yes, wash them after a good sweat.
3) Apply liberal amounts of natural sunscreen wherever your skin is exposed. Check the EWG’s website (www.ewg.org) to look for brands suitable for you. I never realized how toxic sunscreen was until a few years ago and now I check every product I put on my skin.
4) Underneath it all apply this homemade Green Tea Mist to your skin:
one half cup of water boiled, add 2 green tea bags (let steep for 2 hours), add 5-8 drops of tea tree oil, and store the mixture in a tinted glass spray bottle in your fridge. This product is perishable so should be discarded after 2 weeks. It will make your skin glow and help de-clog summer pores. Spray several times a day to wake skin up and just help cool you down.
5) If you do burn avoid peeling by using the above Green Tea Mist Recipe and add 1 TBSP of natural aloe vera gel. Then apply shea butter onto blanket the burned area. Keep the area well moisturized, reapplying whenever the skin sucks the moisture away.
Skin is the body’s largest organ so treat it well. I have made the effort to switch to natural products and have never looked back. My skin looks better now than it ever has. The less products used the more the skin breathes.
Enjoy the sun, but use sparingly.
AUTHOR: Nicole Yvette Hughes