I love a good pesto and when I found out how easy it is to make it from scratch, I have never turned back. When I heard someone say you could use raw broccoli in a pesto, I took to the kitchen to experiment. This recipe is super easy and is a great way to use up leftover raw broccoli. It is also the only way I can get my son to eat a raw vegetable!
- 2 cups broccoli 2 stems fresh sage (basil works well too)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts (walnuts work well with the basil)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil Water
- (3/4 tbsp or as desired) Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (for a little heat, if desired)
- 1/8-1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese (This is optional. You can leave out the cheese to make it vegan. My son loves cheese so I always add it.)
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor.
Blend for about 2 minutes or until well combined and smooth. Add more water or olive oil to reach desired consistency. **** I like to serve this pesto with a vegetable rotini.
If I have extra veggies on hand - like zucchini, cherry tomatoes, or peas - I add them to the pasta as well.
AUTHOR: Cathy Terrazas